Regional Senior Project Manager/Biologist
This position is: Full Time
Position Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Gulf South Research Corporation is a 26-year-old Woman Owned Small Business with a mission to work with our community to identify and lead actions that achieve and sustain ecological health in the southwestern United States. We have over 36 professional staff and manage numerous large contracts across the US. We are seeking a full-time Regional Senior Biologist/Project Manager to support our Carlsbad, CA office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Include but are not limited to):
- Provide technical oversite for biological projects and fieldwork in California.
- Work with the CA Regional Operations Manager to prioritize project needs, allocate staff resources, equipment resources and ensure task deliverables are met effectively and on budget.
- Attend kickoff meetings and maintaining a close working relationship with client project managers
- Supervise and conduct performance reviews for all staff in California in conjunction with the Regional Operations Manager.
- Complete all standard monthly GSRC project management duties.
- Assist CA Regional Operations Manager to appropriately forecast labor hours for contracts and fee for service work.
- Work closely with Operations Manager to oversee contracts and task budgets.
- Recruit, hire, train and lead restoration technicians and crew leaders out of the Carlsbad, CA Office.
- Lead crew members in various aspects of ecological restoration including: Native plant propagation, seed collection, container plant installation, ecological monitoring and vegetation maintenance.
- Lead crew members in invasive species management work such as: herbicide application by various methods, mechanical treatment with motorized and handheld equipment, infestation mapping and species identification.
- Draft initial project progress reports, work plans, final reports and cost proposals as outlined in contract agreements.
- Plan and implement herbicide application programs tailored to specific species and environmental circumstances.
- Provide site supervision and oversight of Restoration Technicians training and safety.
- Monitor and document project site success using methods of: data collection, data analysis, and summarization using software such as Microsoft Excel, Access and ArcGIS.
- Procuring project supplies and equipment to support operations out of the Carlsbad, CA office.
- Provide professional outreach to property owners as well as public agencies.
- Occasional overnight travel to regional and out of state projects.
- Perform rare plant surveys and other biological monitoring fieldwork
- Other related duties as assigned.
- 10 years of experience in the Natural Resource Management field including a strong background in: California botany, environmental restoration practices, ecological assessment.
- Minimum of 3 years project management experience in the Environmental Consulting field.
- BS Degree in Environmental Sciences or Natural Resources related field
- Experience with invasive plant management practices (manual/mechanical/chemical).
- Knowledge of common herbicides used in wildland vegetation management, application rates and appropriate application environments. Understanding of a wide variety of application techniques.
- Experience using and maintaining mechanical equipment, i.e. chainsaws & brush cutters.
- Valid CA driver’s license and ability to pass Department of Defense background checks.
- GPS/GIS mapping, database management and map production skills.
- Experience managing teams of staff, providing constructive feedback and performance reviews.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of working in physically demanding outdoor conditions.
- Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC or QAL) issued by California DPR
- GSRC pays 100 percent of health and life insurance premiums
- GSRC matches up to 4 percent of 401k contribution
- Salary dependent on experience
- Eligible for bonus